History Icon

 

AME HISTORY

The African Methodist Episcopal Church (AMEC) grew out of the Free African Society (FAS) which Richard Allen, Absalom Jones, and others established in Philadelphia in 1787. When officials at St. George’s AMEC pulled blacks off their knees while praying, FAS members discovered just how far American Methodists would go to enforce racial discrimination against African Americans. Hence, these members of St. George’s made plans to transform their mutual aid society into an African congregation. Although most wanted to affiliate with the Protestant Episcopal Church, Allen led a small group who resolved to remain Methodists. In 1794 Bethel AME was dedicated with Allen as pastor. To establish Bethel’s independence from interfering white Methodists, Allen, a former Delaware slave, successfully sued in the Pennsylvania courts in 1807 and 1815 for the right of his congregation to exist as an independent institution. Because black Methodists in other middle Atlantic communities encountered racism and desired religious autonomy, Allen called them to meet in Philadelphia to form a new Wesleyan denomination, the AME.

The geographical spread of the AMEC prior to the Civil War was mainly restricted to the Northeast and Midwest. Major congregations were established in Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, DC, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, and other large Blacksmith's Shop cities. Numerous northern communities also gained a substantial AME presence. Remarkably, the slave states of Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri, Louisiana, and, for a few years, South Carolina, became additional locations for AME congregations. The denomination reached the Pacific Coast in the early 1850’s with churches in Mother Bethel Church Stockton, Sacramento, San Francisco, and other places in California. Moreover, Bishop Morris Brown established the Canada Annual Conference.

Mother Bethel AME Church, Philadelphia, PA
Constructed in 1890

 

 

 

 


Bishop Richard Allen


The most significant era of denominational development occurred during the Civil War and Reconstruction. Oftentimes, with the permission of Union army officials AME clergy moved into the states of the collapsing Confederacy to pull newly freed slaves into their denomination. “I Seek My Brethren,” the title of an often repeated sermon that Theophilus G. Steward preached in South Carolina, became a clarion call to evangelize fellow blacks in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Texas, and many other parts of the south. Hence, in 1880 AME membership reached 400,000 because of its rapid spread below the Mason-Dixon line . When Bishop Henry M. Turner pushed African Methodism across the Atlantic into Liberia and Sierra Leone in 1891 and into South Africa in 1896, the AME now laid claim to adherents on two continents.

While the AME is doctrinally Methodist, clergy, scholars, and lay persons have written important works which demonstrate the distinctive theology and praxis which have defined this Wesleyan body. Bishop Benjamin W. Arnett, in an address to the 1893 World’s Parliament of Religions, reminded the audience of the presence of blacks in the formation of Christianity. Bishop Benjamin T. Tanner wrote in 1895 in The Color of Solomon – What? that biblical scholars wrongly portrayed the son of David as a white man. In the post civil rights era theologians James H. Cone, Cecil W. Cone, and Jacqueline Grant who came out of the AME tradition critiqued Euro-centric Christianity and African American churches for their shortcomings in fully impacting the plight of those oppressed by racism, sexism, and economic disadvantage.

In the 1990s, the AME included over 2,000,000 members, 8000 ministers, and 7000 congregations in more than 30 nations in North and South America , Africa, and Europe. Twenty bishops and 12 general officers comprised the leadership of the denomination.

BISHOP HARRISON JAMES BRYANT

Harrison James Bryant was born to Richard and Annie Bryant on November 20, 1899 in Keithville Village, SC. He was one of three brothers and five sisters. His parents faithfully accompanied their children to Sunday school at a very early age.

On June 11, 1936, Rev. Bryant Married Edith Holland. They were friends and life partners in ministry for fifty-three years until her death on
March 12, 1989. Harrison and Edith were partners in divine creation six times. God created through them Edith, Cynthia, Ann, Hazel Joan, Harrison James, Jr., John Richard, and Eleanor Louise.

Rev. and Mrs. Bryant were appointed to Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church, Baltimore in 1949 and served this great congregation for fifteen years. At that time, he held the distinction of pastoring this church longer than any other A.M.E. minister in the history of the church.

While serving the Bethel congregation, Bishop Bryant, his devoted wife and the entire family were active members of the civil rights movement. The NAACP and the Congress of Racial Equality found the Bryants in active opposition to racial segregation and exploitation. He walked the picket lines and was arrested on several occasions, for his beliefs.



He remained at Bethel until 1964 when he was elected the Eighty-Second Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. He served the church with great distinction. While serving in South Africa, seventeen churches were established to the glory of God. He served as a member of the governing board of the National Council of Churches, President of the Council of Bishops (1972 – 1973) and was listed in Who’s Who in America.

During his Episcopal ministry in the Fifth District, churches and human services buildings were erected. Among the churches, Bryant Temple African Methodist Episcopal Church in Los Angeles proudly carries his name. Bryant Temple was founded on October 27, 1968. It’s first pastor was J.C. Brooks. Rev. Dr. V.L. Brenson was it’s second pastor and served with great distinction from 1969 until 2002. Rev. Dr. Clyde W. Oden, Jr., presently serves as senior pastor of The Temple, having been appointed to this charge on November 3, 2002, by Bishop John R. Bryant, the presiding Prelate of the 5th Episcopal District and son of the late Bishop Harrison J. Bryant.

Bishop John Harrison Bryant and Mother Edith Bryant entered into active retirement in 1976. They continued to serve God and the Church in the Second Episcopal District and at Bethel A.M.E. Church, until they were called home to be with the Lord.